Friday, January 10, 2014

Review: The Civil Wars by The Civil Wars

(Photo Credit)
Firstly, I love The Civil Wars, and I'm pretty upset that they're not even speaking to one another yet. But anyway, this is my review for their new album.

The Civil Wars is amazing, as I expected. Their sound is a bit different, but not in a bad way. Their voices continue to blend together perfectly, each with their own unique sound. The chemistry is still there when they sing. The songs are so meaningful, and I completely understand what Joy said when she said that it goes through their journey as a duo. This album is everything I was hoping that it would be.

My one criticism is that Joy completely overpowers John Paul on the album. They both have strong, powerful, and fantastic voices, but I think that John Paul was almost always covered by Joy. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it makes it seem like it's more of Joy's album than The Civil Wars', even if that wasn't the intention. Maybe they both agreed that it worked better like that. Maybe it was one of the reasons for the "internal discord." Whatever the reason, it doesn't make the music any less amazing, but it's certainly an aspect that made the album weaker.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading! I appreciate all comments, and I always comment back if I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...