Monday, April 28, 2014

Review: Six Months Later by Natalie D. Richards

Six Months Later by Natalie D. Richards
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: October 1st, 2013
She has everything she's ever wanted. But not her memory...

When Chloe fell asleep in study hall, it was the middle of May. When she wakes up, snow is on the ground and she can't remember the last six months of her life.

Before, she'd been a mediocre student. Now, she's on track for valedictorian and being recruited by Ivy League schools. Before, she never had a chance with super jock Blake. Now he's her boyfriend. Before, she and Maggie were inseparable. Now her best friend won't speak to her.

What happened to her? Remembering the truth could be more dangerous than she knows...
I went into this book not knowing what to expect AT ALL. I had heard great reviews/thoughts from other bloggers, and it sounded really interesting. I honestly wasn't expecting a thriller, but it surprised me, and I loved that it was a thriller!

I found this to be an enjoyable, quick read that kept me engaged almost all the time. The mystery definitely helped to keep the pace moving and to keep the reader interested. There were so many plot twists that I never saw coming, and it kept me at the edge of my seat. It's an intense book with a thrilling premise and fairly precise execution.

Another aspect of the book that I really enjoyed was the arc with Chloe's best friend, Maggie. I don't want to give anything away, but it's so powerful. It definitely made me think about my friends and the friendships I have. I love how Maggie isn't necessarily defined by her speech issue. It pained me to see such a broken friendship, but I understood it near the end, and I think that the message the book sends is an important one.

There were, however, a couple one or two things that I didn't really like. The major one was that I wanted/needed a lot more development, particularly of the characters and their relationships. There was really well-explored characters such as Adam and Chloe, but there were also many that just didn't quite hit it for me. But what bothered me the most was the relationship between Chloe and Adam (and a little bit of her relationship with Blake, but that was definitely very different and more straightforward in many ways). The thing is, I know it's hard to build up and develop a relationship that technically happened over the six months that she doesn't remember. But because their relationship was explored so little, I didn't feel anything about their relationship. Sure, I like Adam, but I couldn't fully see or understand his connection with Chloe. They always felt a bit off, and the relationship kind of fell flat to me because I didn't get the kind of development, both beforehand and afterwards. I also would have loved to see a bit more family growth. It's not a huge issue, and I know it's not the focus of the book, but I think a lot of it was left open and could've been addressed a bit more.

All in all, this was a quick, intense read that I really enjoyed.
Natalie D. Richards: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading! I appreciate all comments, and I always comment back if I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...