Thursday, April 3, 2014

Review: Divergent Original Motion Movie Soundtrack (Deluxe)

Divergent Original Motion Movie Soundtrack (Deluxe)
Label: Lionsgate
Release Date: March 11th, 2014
Track listing:
1. Find You – Zedd feat. Matthew Koma & Miriam Bryant
2. Beating Heart – Ellie Goulding
3. Fight For You – Pia Mia feat. Chance The Rapper
4. Hanging On (I See MONSTAS Remix) – Ellie Goulding
5. I Won’t Let You Go – Snow Patrol
6. Run Boy Run – Woodkid
7. Backwards – Tame Impala & Kendrick Lamar
8. I Need You – M83
9. In Distress – A$AP Rocky feat. Gesaffelstein
10. Lost And Found (ODESZA Remix) – Pretty Lights
11. Stranger – Skrillex feat. KillaGraham From Milo & Otis & Sam Dew
12. Dream Machines – Big Deal
13. Dead In The Water – Ellie Goulding
14. I Love You – Woodkid
15. Waiting Game – BANKS
16. My Blood – Ellie Goulding

"Overall, this album fell short of all my expectations, even though it may mostly be because of my own personal music tastes."


I have to admit that much of what I say in this review, especially my rating of the album, is based almost completely on my own personal music taste, which is pretty diverse, save for a few genres/sounds. I went into the album expecting it to be great. I didn't really look at the track list much beforehand, but I love Find You, Beating Heart, and I Won't Let You Go. I was expecting so much, especially since a lot of people were talking about it and the two Hunger Games soundtracks side-by-side.

Alas, it fell so short of what I was expecting. Firstly, while I understand that Ellie Goulding is "the voice of the movie/Tris/whatever," I don't exactly know the point behind putting her already-released songs (from her own album) on this soundtrack. I loved Beating Heart, and I think the other [Ellie Goulding] songs would have had a bigger impact if they had been new songs.

Then there was the fact that I just really didn't like about half, if not more, of the songs on the album. As I mentioned, most of it was due to personal taste. I was enjoying Fight For You until the rap part. I then skipped songs 7 to something like 12. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the Ellie Goulding remix song. I just don't like the sound of them, and they don't appeal to me the way that the other songs do. I tried my best to listen to them and to listen for meaning, but I just couldn't get myself to do that.

However, there were still songs that made up for the rest of them, and I ended up loving them. Of course, I've already heart most of the songs by Ellie Goulding, but it was nice to hear something that I liked. I also love almost everything Snow Patrol releases, so it's an understatement to say that I was really excited about I Won't Let You Go. I had heard Find You before the CD came out, and I liked it then too. I also found that I didn't mind the songs by Woodkid, and I liked BANKS' song, Waiting Game.

Something else I noticed (this is a side note) from listening to this album, as well as other soundtracks (thus this is an overall statement, not one just focused on the Divergent soundtrack), is that many of their songs discuss the topic of love. One of the reasons why I decided to host my upcoming event, Inspired: A Summer of Songs is because I want to see songs that are about more than just the relationship in (the) book(s). Of course, a few are okay, especially if they're well-written, but there are other themes and focuses, and I'm sad that many of these types of soundtracks don't fully explore other aspects of the movie/book.

Overall, this album fell short of all my expectations, even though it may mostly be because of my own personal music tastes. Some of the songs I loved managed to save this from being a complete failure in my eyes, so I'll definitely continue to listen to those songs. If they release an album of Insurgent, I'll be more wary.

(PS. Stay tuned for my review of the Divergent movie sometime soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading! I appreciate all comments, and I always comment back if I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...