Friday, March 21, 2014

Flashback Friday (#1): Review: Now You See Me Movie

This is a more irregular feature. Flashback Friday is where I review, or possibly discuss, an old TV show, movie, book, or album. So what's considered old? Anything that was not released within the past year and a half. By years, I mean calendar year (so for this year, June 2013-December 2014 would NOT be old).


(Source)
A refreshing new take on heist films, this movie gives you a look into the world of magic and the art of deception, leaving just enough to keep you on your toes and to keep you guessing.

I've been interested in this movie ever since I saw the trailer. The premise of the movie is interesting and involved, and the plot will keep you on your toes for the entire movie. One of my favorite aspects of this movie was the refreshing new take on heist films. Everyone, I'd venture to guess, loves magic (or at least loved it at some point). I know I'm fascinated by magic, not just Harry Potter magic but magician magic too. This offers a cool look into the world of magic and the art of deception. You think you know what's going on, but then something else happens that tells you you're wrong. 

There were some aspects and some tricks that were predictable and/or obvious. Sometimes I knew something had happened, but I couldn't figure out exactly how it had been executed. I liked how it showed you how the tricks were accomplished, while leaving enough for you to guess.

Some of the back story confused me a bit, but I found that it didn't matter that much at the end. There's a twist at the end that made me rethink the entire movie, and I think that's the point. As I mentioned, this movie is a refreshing new movie that will keep you on your toes and will keep you guessing for the majority of the film.

An aspect I liked was the mix of personalities. I do wish there was a bit more diversity, but I enjoyed the characters and their chemistry. They worked off of one another's talents, yet they are all talented on their own. They work together really well, and you can tell that they're all incredibly sneaky and deceptive. I guess that's why they're magicians. I wish there was more development of the characters and the relationships, but overall, I really enjoyed the characters and the cast. The actors and actresses were beyond amazing, and they certainly pulled off those tricks really well. I'm so glad the crew included an actual illusionist/magician because I think that added to the authenticity of the movie. You felt like you were there experiencing their tricks too.

I think this kind of flows into the setting as well. You see just enough to get a feel of what's going on and where they are. The different cities were a nice way to change the setting but to also so how versatile and popular the magicians were. Of course, the majority of the movie took place in big cities, but the hectic feel and the rush of being in a city and being able to hide made this invariably funner to watch.

There were plot twists abound, but as I mentioned above, the last twist was the one that got me the most. I think that was the most well-executed and while there were small clues, I, for one, was not really expecting that ending!

One last thing that bothered me a bit was the "romance." It was way too obvious, and I found it unnecessary. Besides, why can't a woman want to step up and take the job because she's interested? Why is it assumed that there's something sneaky about her? I'm not overly fond with how women were treated in this movie, but I think this is a movie that's meant to be enjoyed more aesthetically and to just relax, rather than to think too much into it, as horrible as that sounds.

All in all, this was an incredibly enjoyable movie that offered a unique look in the world of illusions and so-called magic. It makes you rethink what you know, and the twists and turns keep you guessing. Movie critics may not be a huge fan of the movie, but if you're looking for something fun and cool to watch, this is your movie. Imaginative and refreshingly new, this is a movie I'm glad I watched.
Now You See Me
Directed by: Louis Leterrier
Written by: Ed Solomon, Boaz Yakin, Edward Ricourt
Cast: Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco, Morgan Freeman, Melanie Laurent, Michael Caine, and more
Release Date: May 31st, 2013

2 comments:

  1. I loooved this movie. Though I have to admit, I found the ending all kinds of weird. I mean, why is it suddenly supernatural? Is it or isn't it?? That freaky carosel made me think maybe it WAS supernatural after all. *shrugs* And the whole time I kept waiting for Hulk to smash something, um...er, hehe....whatever. ;) It was a very clever movie though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yes! I was so confused about the whole carousel thing. Like was that all? Or did it mean something else? *still confused* Hahaha, right? I definitely agree. It's a really interesting movie, and it was really cool.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and reading! I appreciate all comments, and I always comment back if I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...