Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Unconventionally Creating a Graphic Novel | Tour: Dare to Disappoint by Ozge Samanci


Dare to Disappoint by Ozge Samanci sounds like an incredible graphic novel. It's about growing up in Turkey and trying to find her passion when her family and society are trying to tell her what direction to go in. What makes the book even more interesting is that she utilizes unconventional materials throughout the book. Each post on this tour will highlight one such material. 

For my stop, Ozge will be briefly talking about her use of evil eye beads. When I saw that that was the featured material for my blog, I got really excited. I actually own a few pieces of jewelry with evil eye beads and have one hanging up at home. They're pretty commonly found in Brazil. But here's Ozge's own words on it.
Beads for evil eye are part of the culture in Turkey. In Turkey, many people believe that babies, kids, adults, men and women can be harmed by the evil eye, the jealous gaze of others. To protect themselves from the harms of evil eyes some people wear an evil eye bead by pinning it under their shirt or visibly by attaching it to a wall of their home or a mirror of their car. In my comic-collages evil eye beads make wonderful eyes for the characters.

I can't wait to read this book, and I hope you'll all check it out as well! 

Dare to Disappoint by Ozge Samanci
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, Giroux (BYR)
Release Date: November 17th, 2015
Growing up on the Aegean Coast, Ozge loved the sea and imagined a life of adventure while her parents and society demanded predictability. Her dad expected Ozge, like her sister, to become an engineer. She tried to hear her own voice over his and the religious and militaristic tensions of Turkey and the conflicts between secularism and fundamentalism. Could she be a scuba diver like Jacques Cousteau? A stage actress? Would it be possible to please everyone including herself?
In her unpredictable and funny graphic memoir, Ozge recounts her story using inventive collages, weaving together images of the sea, politics, science, and friendship.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, you've put a new graphic novel on my radar! Sweetness!

    I've never heard about the evil eye bead, but that is really interesting to read the reason someone would wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't realize the reason behind it, though I knew it was to ward off evil.

      Hope you'll enjoy the graphic novel! I need to get my hands on it myself. :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and reading! I appreciate all comments, and I always comment back if I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...