Friday, September 25, 2015

Tour: Interview: Fable Comics Anthology

Displaying FableComics BlogTourBanner.jpg
 Displaying FableComicsRGB.jpg
Fable Comics Anthology by Chris Duffy
Publisher: First Second Books
Release Date: September 22nd, 2015

From classics like "The Tortoise and the Hare" and "The Grasshopper and the Ants" to obscure gems like "The Frogs Who Desired a King," Fable Comics has something to offer every reader. Twenty-eight fables from different cultures and traditions are wonderfully adapted and illustrated in comics format by twenty-six different cartoonists. Edited by New York Times bestselling Fairy Tale Comics' Chris Duffy, this jacketed hardcover is a beautiful gift and an instant classic.

I'm really excited to be part of another First Second book tour. Today, I'm featuring Sophie Goldstein, one of the contributors to this anthology. I've always enjoyed learning about different fables and seeing different ones from varying cultures. Sophie Goldstein wrote "Leopard Drums Up Dinner."

Interview with Sophie Goldstein

Jessica @ Fly to Fiction: What was the most difficult part of adapting the fable into graphic novel form?

Sophie Goldstein: The original fable, "Leopard and the Other Animals" had the same fun twist at the end—the Deer revealing the Leopard's deceit—but the whole tone was much less goofy. Finding the humor in the set-up was my most important task. I also had a lot of fun researching African animals to populate the forest and attend the Leopard's party.

J: What was the most exciting part?

SG: Drawing animals! Most of my comics are about people, not talking leopards and vultures so this was a fun departure for me. I can see now why funny animal comics reigned supreme for so long!

J: How much does your writing process differ when writing for kids versus writing for older audiences? How does the way you present your message or story change?

SG: While there are some really excellent children's entertainments that deal with serious themes I like to see making comics for children as an opportunity to draw something cute and fun. The work I make for adults tends to deal with heavy subjects so it's a nice change for me.

J: What made you choose to illustrate this particular fable?

SG: The deer turning the tables on the leopard is a classic underdog story and the original fable already had them playing drums and singing so I felt that had a lot of potential. Leopards were also my favorite animal when I was a kid.
J: Either as a child or today, what is your favorite fable? Why?
SG: The fable of the Scorpion and the Frog (or sometimes, The Scorpion and the Turtle) is a well-known fable and one of my favorites. The moral is pretty dark but maybe that's why I like it so much. Here it is:
A scorpion asks a frog to carry it across a river. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung, but the scorpion argues that if it did so, they would both drown. Considering this, the frog agrees, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When the frog asks the scorpion why, the scorpion replies that it was in its nature to do so. 

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading! I appreciate all comments, and I always comment back if I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...