Monday, July 6, 2015

Review: Ms. Marvel Vol 1 by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona

Ms. Marvel Vol 1 by G. Willow Wilson (Illustrated by Adrian Alphona)
Publisher: Marvel
Release Date: October 15th, 2014
Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City — until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm! When Kamala discovers the dangers of her newfound powers, she unlocks a secret behind them, as well. Is Kamala ready to wield these immense new gifts? Or will the weight of the legacy before her be too much to bear? Kamala has no idea, either. But she's comin' for you, Jersey!
I'm not usually a comic girl, but I kept hearing about Ms. Marvel, and I knew I needed to read it. I now cannot wait to read the other volumes.

Ms. Marvel is amazing to say the least. We have a set of diverse characters set in a very real, not-so-exciting setting. Kamala isn't one to embrace her culture and her background, but that's also contrasted by her brother and her friend Nakia. But it's in that that she finds herself struggling. She struggles with her identity, and that struggle only grows once she becomes Ms. Marvel. She goes through this transition and realization that she can be a superhero as she is (with the help of her new superpowers). She doesn't have to be white with blond hair to save lives. That message is SO important and SO powerful.

I did find large parts of this highly predictable, and I was disappointed that her friend Nakia sort of disappears later on in the story. While there was a lot going on, you could definitely tell that this was the first volume. Most of this acted as a set-up to the later comics, so it wasn't nearly as action-packed or exciting as I thought it was going to be. I liked getting to see her family life and to see the background for how and why she becomes Ms. Marvel, but I think I'll enjoy the later volumes much more. I can't wait!
Ms. Marvel Vol 1: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
G. Willow Wilson: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Adrian Alphona: Website | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading! I appreciate all comments, and I always comment back if I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...