Friday, February 14, 2014

Review: Picture Me Gone by Meg Rosoff (ARC)

Picture Me Gone by Meg Rosoff
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile 
Release Date: October 3rd, 2013
Mila has an exceptional talent for reading a room—sensing hidden facts and unspoken emotions from clues that others overlook. So when her father’s best friend, Matthew, goes missing from his upstate New York home, Mila and her beloved father travel from London to find him. She collects information about Matthew from his belongings, from his wife and baby, from the dog he left behind and from the ghosts of his past—slowly piecing together the story everyone else has missed. But just when she’s closest to solving the mystery, a shocking betrayal calls into question her trust in the one person she thought she could read best.
Let me preface this by saying that this'll be a short review because if I elaborated, I might have gotten a bit mean.

This book just wasn't for me. I couldn't get into it, and I didn't feel any connection to almost any of the characters. I think that one important aspect of a book, at least for myself, is understanding or at least liking the protagonist. But I just couldn't connect or feel almost anything for Mila.

Now, the books isn't terrible, but it just wasn't great, in my opinion. The plot felt very lacking and slow. The book was pretty anticlimactic. There was one plot twist that I enjoyed. That was when I think it really started to get better. I actually quite liked the ending, which is why this is 2/5.

Another aspect that bugged me was how there were no quotation marks around the dialog. I think that the main reason it bothered me was honestly because I had just finished reading The Road, and I just wanted to read a "normal" book again.

All in all, I think that part of this was a it's me not you type of book, but I just really couldn't get into the book at all. I pushed myself through it but not because I really enjoyed the book. I liked that it made me think at the end, but it was just very lacking in general.
***If anyone is interested in possibly getting this book from me (note that it's a galley), please let me know! I might be willing to send it or swap it. :)

You can find Meg Rosoff on:  her blog | her official website | Twitter
You can find Picture Me Gone on: Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading! I appreciate all comments, and I always comment back if I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...